Tuesday 7 August 2007

Using and abusing the great and good

I've just dropped the now redundant sunflowers in a vase, from which they'll duly topple, poured a cup of tea, placated the howling cat and got the wax off the office saucers which I always borrow for Ripping Pages events. I can say always now, after two events, can't I? (That just reminded me of the temporary / permanent discussion we had, Jayne!)

It was another sweet candlelit night full of words, which I think is what we always wanted it to be, how we pictured it might be, could be, would be, should be. There were new faces, new eyes, new ears, new words. Words, yes.

I struggle with adjectives. I find it hard to say how much I like something. I use and abuse the great and good. The adjectives, that is, not the people. I know that this is not something terribly - here I go again - great to confess to, but I do. I struggle. I want to say that tonight was wonderful, brilliant and fantastic - but I'll just play it down and say it was good.

They all say show not tell anyway. What good would it be for me to tell you it was wonderful when we could show you? Literally, thanks to photographer Johanna, who spent a good part of the evening behind a tripod. Thank you.

So, what next, then? Other than September 4th at The Romany in Northampton. Well, hopefully, you'll guide us. Do we want a book club type thing? Do we want to go down the workshop route? Do we want neither of these but something else?

I think, for our part, we're happy to have more vitriol, more laughter and more tearjerkers, for a start, whether they are read out to us at events, or submitted to us online.

Amy

1 comment:

Ripping Pages said...

Not just an evening of flowers and candles...Ripping Pages has introduced an event that might be taking itself with a pinch of salt. 'Bring what you hope to find' was the second night of the Ripping Pages writers' evenings and it seems the local writers are beginning to see beyond the grotto style fairy lights and chilli rice crackers. No tricks or gimmicks in sight, just good old fashioned words being read out on a stage...there must be a catch, mustn't there? Ripping Pages are passionate about words, and are seeking to share that passion with others. They know what it is like to abandon pieces of poetry and prose, to feel unworthy as a writer, and they also know to pain of rejection. They have taken it upon themselves to right this wrong and bring together a unique collective and share their vision of what life could be like if you only dared to dream. The chance to be heard, the chance to be published...maybe. Ripping Pages have not hidden their ambition among the candles of the back room of a pub, they have thrown open the doors to their most sought after dreams as an example to others that if you truly believe in yourself, nothing will go wrong. No, not just an evening of flowers and candles...